Jo Fitzsimons is a freelance travel writer who has visited over 60 countries. www.indianajo.com is the place where she shares destination details, travel itineraries, planning and booking tips and trip tales. Her aim: to help you plan your travel adventure on your terms and to your budget.

1. John Leahy
    John Leahy at | | Reply

Hi, we checked into a hostel the other day but only read the reviews after. I found that the place is notorious for bed bugs.. We left quickly but we were on the bed for around two hours before we left. We didnt sleep there, it was during the day.. Now I think I see signs of bites on me.. Wondering if it’s possible that the BBs could be hitchhiking on our clothes and luggage after such a short stay during the day or is it just a delayed reaction from bites I received there? Thanks, John

2. Kate T
    Kate T at | | Reply

Hi, I will be traveling in Bali for a month in June. I am worried that I will be inevitably encountering bed bugs, as I was in Bali last year and had problems. I found that some hotel owners there are reluctant to 1) agree that bed bugs are present in their establishment 2) agree that they are a problem for the customer 3) do much about them if you complain. That being said, I’m looking for some home remedies to take with me, as I may be locked into staying at already-booked accommodations and I don’t intend on sleeping on the floor. The baby oil is a great suggestion. Is there anything else you know of that could be sprayed on the bed before sleeping, or any other suggestions? Thanks!
    Kate

3. Emily
    Emily at | | Reply

Currently I’m in Morocco and mt partner and I got absolutely riddled with bites a few days ago after staying in a fancy hotel.
    We gave since left that city and hostel, but now I fear that we may be carrying them with us.
    I can’t tell if new bites are coming up or if they’re just delayed reactions.

Unsure as what to do.

Advice?

4. Cam
    Cam at | | Reply

Definitely had bed bugs a few hostels back. Left the room after i noticed and slept in the common room but left my stuff behind! And now, about 3 hostels later (and after doing laundry) more bites are appearing!! I dont know if its a delayed reaction to previous bites (one week prior) or if ive brought the bastards with me (and possibly infested a gew other hostels too…) right now im waiting for the dryer and im going to blast EVERYTHING (Even the clothes originally in the sealed bag(that i didnt bother washing last time)) but i cant find a whole lot of information for dealing with bed bugs on the go… all the information out there is if theyve infested your home, which is why i didn’t deal with things properly several cities back

5. Martha
    Martha at | | Reply

I’ve been staying at a friend’s house in Singapore for one month. Two weeks into my stay, I did a 2 night trip to the beach in Malaysia. The itching started about 3 days after I returned. I don’t know if they were already in the house or if I got them in the beach hut. At first, there were a few bites on my leg that I assumed were mosquitoes because I went hiking that morning. Bed bugs never entered my mind but tonight, after a week of progressively more itching (I thought it was a rash that spread) I checked the mattress and saw a live bug crawling around. I killed it quickly so I didn’t look too close, but I’m guessing it was a bed bug. Either way, I’ve been around them for 2 weeks and have been oblivious. I’m leaving for the airport in a few hours, my bags are already packed. I’m at a loss. It’s hard to find washers with hot water in Asia and dryers are no where to be found. On top of that, do I tell my friend she has bed bugs and maybe they were here or maybe I brought them in?

6. When Life Screams: Stop Travelling | Indiana Jo
    When Life Screams: Stop Travelling | Indiana Jo at |

[…] for when I face weeks of dining out three times a day. It would also be nice not to have to face bed bugs for a […]

7. One Day in Pisa: What to See and Do
    One Day in Pisa: What to See and Do at |

[…] very absent) owner, I wouldn’t recommend this hostel. Mainly because I was woken at 2.30am by my least favourite friends – bed bugs (5th time this year and counting). So, don’t stay […]

8. Hilde Burgmann
    Hilde Burgmann at | | Reply

Hey, thank’s so much for your tips! Didn’t read them early enough though, and now I’ve got bed bugs. In a small city in Peru, and it’s sunday. I moved rooms yesterday, wasn’t sure about bed bugs, and now I find it irresponsible to move to another hotel, since they will come with me, no? I am sadly a messy person, and all my things were all over the place, so I guess the best would be to throw everything away. But the solution would be to clean-dry-heat all the clothes and use bug spray for all the other things? And then move out? Your thoughts on this would be really appreciated! Totally horrified, Hilde

9. One Day Hiking in Toppes de Collantes, Cuba | Indiana Jo
    One Day Hiking in Toppes de Collantes, Cuba | Indiana Jo at |

[…] they bed bugs?” she asked. Having become an unintended expert on the subject, I stepped closer to the mattress that was writhing with black bugs. Not bed bugs, I confirmed, but […]

10. Kaye
    Kaye at | | Reply

Those nasty little critters are a nightmare to handle! Thanks for sharing your tips on how to get rid of them. And to think that i started looking at hotel guests to see if they have insect bites after reading this lol very smart tip, jo!

11. Mags Sno
    Mags Sno at | | Reply

I like your tip about paying close attention to other hotel guests for signs of any visible bites. Never thought of that one!

I suppose it could also mean that if they were bitten in another establishment they have brought bed bugs with them?

Mags Sno, I picket that tip up from a hostel manager. I saw him staring at a girls legs once. When he realised I’d seen him he discretely explained he was checking out her bites, nothing more inappropriate! They were from mosquitos but it was good to see he was on bed-bug alert.