Jo Fitzsimons is a freelance travel writer who has visited over 60 countries. www.indianajo.com is the place where she shares destination details, travel itineraries, planning and booking tips and trip tales. Her aim: to help you plan your travel adventure on your terms and to your budget.

1. Inle Lake Boat Tour - Things to Do in Inle Lake | Indiana Jo
    Inle Lake Boat Tour - Things to Do in Inle Lake | Indiana Jo at |

[…] That said, you will find mosquitos in Myanmar – check out my thoughts on the best mosquito repellent here. […]

2. David
    David at | | Reply

I remember this thread fondly as it turned me from DEET to natural via Incognito – thanks for the tip Jo. Ive read your update and think it’s my turn to reciprocate…my gf also got a few bites using incognito in SE Asia, but less than she did with the repellent she used to use. Anyhow she bought a whole lot of new Incognito anti-mosquito products: a Hair & Body Wash (HBW); a Room Refresher (RR) and their Roll-on & tried them out this January in Thailand. For the first time in her life Zero bites! The HBW is a citrus repellent wash that apparently reduces your attractiveness, she showered with this every morning, I also used it over there & found I used less spray. We put the RR on the floor of our hut & it kept out nearly all the critters, except for some ants. I read that Incognito have also reformulated their products, so you may want to reevaluate them, especially as products containing more than 50% DEET are now banned in Europe!
    Keep up the good work.

3. Peter Halbert
    Peter Halbert at | | Reply

I forgot to add a tip I was given in Greece.
    One night in Greece I was being bitten to death (not literally).
    An elderly Greek gentleman walked across the road and took some leaves from a tree. He returned and told me to crush the leaves in my hands then rub my skin.
    I couldn’t believe it, no more bites and the mosquitoes all disappeared.
    The tree was a Eucalyptus tree. He told me that you will NEVER see a mosquito in a Eucalyptus tree and he is right.
    Unfortunately there is not always one handy.

4. Peter Halbert
    Peter Halbert at | | Reply

I also spend a lot of time travelling, usually 6 months every year. Also to the far east and Africa. In fact I am going to west Africa next month. I am now 67 years old and I have travelled all my life. The products that I have found most useful are,
    As a repellent I use ” Avon, skin so soft original “. This product is supplied to and used by many park rangers and military forces.
    If I do get a bite, I use. “After Bite”. This product stinks of ammonia, but instantly stops any itching and the following day the bite has virtually disappeared.
    But as you say we are all different.

5. David
    David at | | Reply

Really good article. Thank you! Is http://www.lessmosquito.com the correct Incognito website? I’ve seen a few sites selling it

6. Shifali
    Shifali at | | Reply

Thank you very much for telling us about these mosquito repellent products. These products helped a lot..

7. Shantanu
    Shantanu at | | Reply

Writing from an area in Eastern India with enough mosquitoes to disturb your sleep, I find this article useful. I have tried a few other remedies with mixed results, none of them proved a 100% winner though.

1) Use camphor blocks floating in water in small glass containers around where you sleep.
    2) Wash your exposed body (legs, arms, face, throat etc) thoroughly before going to bed to remove any kind of sweat/ body oil smell; they tend to attract the M’s
    3) Burning dry tea leaves/ tea bags in some safe way in the room keeps away the M’s, but it is not predictable how long; depends on the strength of the M’ army perhaps.
    4) Spraying the outer side of the curtains in an open window with any standard DEET product before switching off the lights creates a first level of fire-wall for the M’s;
    5)Burning some Neem/Nishinda leaves in the room an hour before going to bed is a good deterrent for the M’s, but like INCOGNITO or Deep Woods Sportsman branded products not available in India, these herbs will not be available in other countries.
    6) Put around 10/12 cloves into a half cut fresh lemon and keep at your bedside;I’ve tried this for a month or so, but still not sure how effective it is, as success rates vary from 50-80%
    7) Avoid black/dark coloured objects around the bed, as the M’s love such places for hiding.

8. Best Gifts for Travelers | Indiana Jo
    Best Gifts for Travelers | Indiana Jo at |

[…] 5 years of research, I’ve found the best mosquito repellent and if the traveler in your life is off anywhere tropical, they’ll really appreciate this. I […]

9. Malaria Facts Every Traveller Should Know | Indiana Jo
    Malaria Facts Every Traveller Should Know | Indiana Jo at |

[…] (Indiana Jo: You can read my thoughts on the best mosquito repellents here). […]

10. Best Things to Do in Yucatan Peninsula, Mexico | Indiana Jo
    Best Things to Do in Yucatan Peninsula, Mexico | Indiana Jo at |

[…] only (significant) downside: dusk + mangroves = a shit tonne of mosquitos. Wear long clothing and take a barrel of mosquito repellant with you. I stopped counting bites after […]

11. Howard
    Howard at | | Reply

I am the founder of incognito & enjoyed your reviews. I thought you’d like to know that I’ve reformulated incognito this year and in testing carried out by the London School of Hygiene & Tropical Medicine, only a small amount (0.4ml) was required to give 100% protection from mosquitoes. Furthermore, I took on board what you said about the smell and took out the citronella, replacing it with bergamot, which is a whole lot better.

For Fiona, we now have a roll-on too & here’s other news & offers: http://bit.ly/JFFPmU in our Small Bites newsletter.

Happy travels!

I know what you mean – I’m not a fan of DEET and have seen it burn its way through plastic! But, for the possibility of avoiding malaria! I once had a really strong DEET (nearly 100%!) but I used to mix it with body lotion and that gave amazing coverage plus dilution, but I picked it up in Miami and have never seen it since. Often the way when you find something that works! Good luck on your trip. I recently got my bag down to 8.8kg all in, but it was a challenge. Blog post coming on that…at some point 🙂

13. Fiona
    Fiona at | | Reply

Thanks, Jo – that’s really helpful:-)

I think I’ll probably stick to the DEET as I can get it in a roll-on and that will be more economical for our our piffling 15kg total weight allowance (curse those internal flights on balsa-wood planes!)

I just really hate the stuff – something that melts my nail varnish cannot possibly be doing good things to my skin! But I think it’s a price worth paying if I can keep the critters at bay.

14. Fiona
    Fiona at | | Reply

Hi, Jo – how did you get on with incognito in Asia? I’m going to Tanzania soon, and I can’t decide whether I’m really brave enough to ditch the DEET!

Fiona, good question – and so a bit of a post update by way of answer: I got bitten in Asia using the Incognito 🙁 Not more than I got bitten using DEET, but it didn’t turn out to be any better. I suspect it ultimately comes down to my lazy application. As I get bitten using both, I would still opt for the Incognito over the DEET but in a country with serious risk of malaria, I’d probably take some DEET, if only for greater peace of mind. And, of course, if the DEET works for you, I’d stick with it. Let me know how you get on if you try the Incognito!