1. phil
    phil at | | Reply

We’ve just visited over christmas 2016 and it’s exactly the same. I wondered why, after nearly 50 years of focus on this village after Roots, the place and the people seem to be in a very bad way. All the points you raised we felt exactly the same about and left on the boat feeling quite emotional and hoping they find a better more sustainable way for the future of the children and the village.

2. Let’s Talk About Sex: Female Sex Tourism in The Gambia

[…] The Gambia’s “Roots”: When Good Intentions Lead to Bad Tourism […]

3. Armchair Travel: The Girl and Globe Reading List for September 2014 - The Girl and Globe

[…] The Gambia’s “Roots”: When Good Intentions Lead to Bad Tourism by Indiana Jo Africa is a part of the world I haven’t explored, and honestly I’m quite ignorant of the history, culture, and current events there.  Jo brings to light how tourism has shaped the town of Juffureh, the starting point of the “Roots” story and a primary setting in the historical slave trade.  Even if you have no interest in ever visiting Gambia, read this article as a reminder of how important responsible tourism is. […]

4. Hamish Healys
    Hamish Healys at | | Reply

What a sad commentary on the poor village of Juffureh on the North Bank of the Gambia River. Sometimes it gets to be so you can’t help but feel guilty for enjoying the luxury of travel.

5. Kara
    Kara at | | Reply

I have encountered some of the same kinds of problems on my travels although I can’t think of a time that I went to a place quite like Juffureh. Thank you for sharing this – I hope many people read these words of wisdom.

6. Nic Green
    Nic Green at | | Reply

Worthwhile post, Jo. It is a sad but good example of the difficulty of finding “authentic” travel experiences. I had a similar but not as bad experience in Santa Clara, Cuba, in 2012. It’s the main place to go for Che Guevara history, including his mausoleum, but it’s also the place that was the worst of 2 weeks in Cuba for people trying to sell tacky memorabilia, especially linked to Che’s life, and trying to overcharge for taxis etc. Che Guevara would surely have turned in his grave.

It’s unfortunate that your experience in the Gambia made it harder to properly reflect on the slavery issue. As a UK citizen with a colonial past I appreciate that my country’s current wealth derives in part from that past. Whilst current citizens don’t need to be ashamed for things they didn’t do themselves, if they are still getting the benefit then it’s right that they should pay decent overseas aid. Just as well that the UK doesn’t really have a cost of living crisis (compare with the 42% unemployment of Cadiz in Spain!). Just try telling most people that. Maybe they should take their second annual holiday in somewhere more enlightening?

7. rosa
    rosa at | | Reply

HI Jo, another great article. I don’t have any answers to offer, but I like that you raise these issues. Maybe WorldVision or the like could set up some type of presence there….get the tourists to contribute toward child sponsorship or something….

Keep up the great work!

8. Katrina
    Katrina at | | Reply

Very informative post. I could not agree more with your fourth tip to never hand out money because it “encourages more begging at the expense of developing more sustainable skills.” Unfortunately, government-funded welfare programs do this in our developed countries. Why work for a living if you can live off the taxpayer’s dime through a welfare program? This is a very thought-provoking post, and I’m glad you shared it.